Saturday, March 10, 2007

The Man in Me

But, oh, what a wonderful feeling
Just to know that you are near,
Sets my a heart a-reeling
From my toes up to my ears

"I don't know where I stand with you", I said to him. I meant, "I don't know where you stand with me."

I wanted to hear, "If you must go I can't stop you but what can I do to not lose you?". I wanted to say, I should have said, "I must go, this is something I need to do but I don't want to lose you."

What I managed to articulate, with the grace of a hippo in a tutu, "Z, look away from me while I say this. I want to have my cake and eat it too." Puzzled because there weren't any condiments in the room, he does and turns back after an excruciating moment of tonguetiedsilence and an intolerable and ascending sense of ineptness and says, "Welllll......this is stupid." Both of us are inept at saying what we mean when saying it means something. And yet we've successfully managed to trundle along this semantic dirt road towards couple-dom and bliss. We're not 'there' yet wherever there is but we've hit a fork in the road.

It's 1 pm. He's leaving in 15 minutes. We've just had breakfast, a walk and what looks like certain victory over our respective hangovers. He knows 'The Talk' in Zeus like thundering tones will happen NOW. He looks like his brain is short circuiting. I kid you not. He's gradually turning red, he looks a bit desperate like a tense parent slowly realizing they left their child behind at the supermarket. (Mine did once). I had to book a slot for this conversation 2 days ago. A challenge to the mighty ostrich to not seek succor in the sand for once. He told me, he needn't have, that 'important' conversations flummox him to the point of muteness. His mind turns mute. It does. I haven't ever experienced anything quite like this. He's constantly looking at the clock. We had 15 minutes, well we've had a month actually but it came down to these 15 minutes before he'd jet off to his homeland for the weekend.

I look up at the clock, it's 1:05 pm, 'Z I still have 10 minutes so look at me and tell me what's going on in your head baby.' He looks at me so perplexed, like I was speaking to him from under water and or when the officer had asked me what my parents' names were. He says, 'Er....um.....sigh.......'. He's disappointed. There as a thought that had formed on his face, I'd seen the cloud passing over too. And then poof! It was gone. Just like that. Poof! I realize then that is what's going on in his head. Er....um....sigh. While mine is tied up in knots from the stomach upwards. I'm so terrified because I had such a conversation with a chap once and I left feeling gutted. I was so certain we'd break up today.

I'm leaving. For a few months or maybe longer. I'm leaving on the promise of returning.

What we have actively resists classical taxonomies of relationships. We're a 'boyfriend-girlfriend' pair who cringe at the mention of either word. We're together that's it, let's not limit ourselves to certain capacities. That's how I perceive us anyway. Mostly, I think we're just terrified by our proximity. I am wont to enter in to romantic configurations that have no future whatsoever. With men who promise nothing so that I can emerge with a relatively unscathed conscience and the empowerment that comes from knowing that I was willing and he was the commitment-phobe. Truth is, I am. The. Commitment. Phobe. But now here I am with someone who sees no problem in 'going with the flow' and 'using this as a test of us'. He thinks of us as us! I'm not a good test taker. I'm a tester. Of myriad complexities. Of trouble, mostly. Of least gracious exits.

I realized today that I cannot duck away from the fact that I adore this boy ardently. This gentle, sweet, annoyingly reticent and charming man is a lot more important to me than I ever allowed myself to acknowledge. Not to mention the fact that even though between the two of us I am The Official Spokesperson on all matters HoboZivania, he is the one with the courage to articulate in lucid and honest terms. Simply.

Mentally I was jumping through rings of fire to be able to say the simplest thing and never quite managed it. I did say, 'I value us. But if you don't want this as much as I do and I don't know how much you want it because I don't whether you want me anyway then we should end this and put us both out of our miseries. I don't know. Are we dating simply because it's convenient or because there's more substance to us?" I hear myself say these things, I feel the words roll off my tongue like the first bits of crumbling snow before an avalanche. But I can't stop myself. He does.

I didn't know he was still vital. His expression had turned from dour to chaar seeti pressure cooker. Hawkins. Jo Hawkins se kare pyaar voh biwi se kaise kare inkaar? "Convenient?", he grunts. "What's convenient about coming to see you through cold rain and slashing winds at 10 pm after a 14 hour workday when you're drunk and flirting with 4 men at the same time? Convenient!." "I wasn't flirting with anyone Z. I don't notice other men I just wait to see you all day.", was my feeble yet effective protest. Safe but only just. He grunts and shoots me a look. There's a reason why they call it 'shooting a look'. A look, a command, I didn't think this peacenik possessed in his armory of looks. It shot through me with surgical precision. It thrilled me and terrified me at the same time. I shrank back out of embarrassment and swelled with pride. Yeh hai mera mard. I stammer out an apology. In my head I'm hammering away at an effigy of me with relish. What I want to say is, "Don't let me go!" and instead I'm demeaning what we have because I'm so inept. Hence the title of the post, as gender stereotypes go, I discovered the man in me. The reticent man. The fumbling man. The graceless man. The butcher of words. The slayer of feelings. I decide silence is golden.

It's 1:15 pm, time for us to leave. I look to him and say, "You still haven't answered my question baby. Where do I stand with you?". And have I answered mine? I say this while standing up with him. "Get your bag, let's leave we'll talk en route to the station." I say the en route with a particular Frenchiness because he loves it when I attempt French. I only ever mimic him. Or the sounds he makes. French is a sound to me. A deathly aphrodisiac. The deadliest one is walking beside me. The sun's shining bright for us outside, the air's a little chilly. With a faraway look and nearbeside warmth he says, 'I like you. I like spending time with you. It's grown with each day. And I've taken each day as it comes with you. It'll be hard to do that once you're gone especially when you're in Delhi, Mumbai, New York or tillwhenever the world cup's on. But let's see how it goes heau-beau (he says my name in a funny way and this is the best I can do to share it without betraying my poorly veiled anonymity)." And then he beams. He knows he cinched it.

I turn to him beaming, ready to hump him on the streets if there hadn't been laws against that kind of impulsiveness. "See that wasn't that hard and you did such a better job than me in saying it Z." We both chuckle. We know we're inept. But he's beaming victoriously. The talk, The Talk is over and he's come out with no broken limbs, no tears, no unnecessary coochiecooness and an issue resolved. All despite me.

We reach the station, snuggle, kiss, giggle. He offers to let me leave some of my stuff with him. Victory's going to his head. I have a 20 kilo baggage allowance and 80 kilos of baggage. That's not counting my shoes. So I tell him I'll drop off my shoes. He starts to worry again. Those furrowing lines on the forehead like Charlie Brown's grumpy face. "Forget what I said about your luggage. If you have porn you can leave it with me."

I don't have any porn Z but I do have a mind for it.

23 comments:

InExile said...

oh jesus !! these kinda moments suck !!
fucking chutia !!

well welcome home anyways !!

TS said...

Awww...

Very intense yaa Heau-Beau... :)

And its Fwench darling, lose the R!

Achha, and good luck with Z (Zee/Zed/Zzz?).

hedonistic hobo said...

@In Exile:No no no he's not a chutiya. He, no we, are 'tongue tied and twisted,earth bound misfits'.Or some such.

@TS: Zee-vania. Zivania. Named after an intense vodka. Heau Beau ko TS ka salaam. Aapke Calcutta post ne toh tehelka macha diya.

Renovatio said...

Hmm, except for it working out and the commitmentphobe bit, word-for-word...

hedonistic hobo said...

@Renvatio: Dahlink the party hath only just begun. Stage 1 worked out but stage 2?....Anyway this conversation went well and was comic, this time round. The last time I attempted the same conversation with someone I was left with a heartache the size of Jupiter. A 6 ft 6" sized hole in my universe. But who cares? I'm with Z and Z's with me.

Anonymous said...

It seems to be deja-vu for me. I couldn’t grasp whether you were being sarcastic at times or just being blatantly honest. Nevertheless, an interesting post… tinged with humor and sarcasm, and smeared with “raw” emotions.

Somehow, my mind went back to this quote after reading your post - "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." – F. Nietzsche

Do you agree?!?





PS- senorita, some people can/might take offence to the “Gender stereotypes” you have mentioned.

twip said...

6'6" heart shaped holes in your universe must be excruciating. I have a 6'3" Green eyed Venezuelan shaped hole in mine. It's not pretty.

Meh.

hedonistic hobo said...

@Wannabe: It was. It's a hole that filled up rather quickly. How's your coming along?

@Albert: kaun maika laal mere gender stereotype se indignant hoga. especially when the point of the post was that the graceless, fumbling idiot was me. it's mostly an ironic look at THE TALK. i swear i thought i was bad at these things but he sriously looked like he was going to imlode. it was hilarious we could both see how the other had been dreading this conversation and yet we knew we couldn't avoid it and somehow we knew what we expected out of it as well but it had to be had. and now he's stuck with me and all my shoes.

Anonymous said...

I know you said a lot in this post...and I'm just insensitive and warped, but your parents left you at a supermarket?

.....


HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
:o)
You know I love you

hedonistic hobo said...

@zaphod: i know you do because you say so. yeah i remember the day rather vividly. it was a mall in seattle.me ma was shopping for clothes, there was a tv there with "the three little pigs" on and i got engrossed in that. then they drifted off. a security guard picked me up put the mic in my face to call out for my mommy and i started crying instead. i wanted my mommy and the cartoon back. the halcyon days of yore....i wanted the world to rewind.

Spider42 said...

ah well, at least it all worked out in the end right?
good for you...
and by the way, that song which is called the man in me (im guessing you know that) is from The Big Lebowski...just so you know...

eM said...

excellent post hobster, I like the progression of thoughts here, the way you stick to the talk without TOO much meandering (digressions are always good, but if you have a point to make with them.) okay, enough of sounding like a lecturing aunty. :) i particularly like the last bit where you're saying goodbye by the train, i wish i didn't know the rest of the story so I could keep my fingers crossed for updates. btw, does he know you blog?

InExile said...

i didn't call him a chutia baby .. i called the moment chutia...

Ami said...

DARLING! I cud cry and see you laugh and laugh myself...

Did this exactly (80kgs luggage included), 30th Jan 2007 Liverpool train station - I left for Gatwick, He for home... His home now.

I just had to send him the post. Hope tis okay with YAOU!

I be pompous (in making assumptions of you, which i wudn't allow anyone to make of me!) and impulsive (sigh...) so just saying - TWINSOUL!!!!! God makes me curiouser and curiouser about ya...

iz said...

Hobo, only you can write mush in such an intellectual way. You're just like maggie tomato sauce!

hedonistic hobo said...

@Iz: Matbal? I think I'm like the Sweet n Chilly Sauce. Boss!

@Gargoyle Grins: Nah send send send away. I'm glad it's such a familiar situation for so many people kyunki meri toh phat rahi thi. And now here are all of you who've lived through the same. What the hell did you do with your luggage? Please to be advising.

@In Exile: Oho....I'm a cuntoo sorry. No moment was ok, fun actually. Separation will be chutiya. I don't know how I'm going to go sexless. It's already beginning to worry me.

@eM: Thank you, thank you. The story hasn't ended so I don't know how it works out na. Ask me again 6 months from now. :) Besides whether I blog or not kameeni you'll always know what I'm up to.
As for your query. No he doesn't know I blog. I wonder how he'd feel about being blogged. Well whenever I share this with him I'll probably delete a few posts before it. :)

@The Dude: Duuuuuuuude! It's likeme coming to your blog and telling you that your profile pic is from The Big Lebowski. :) It's worked out in asmuch as we aint breaking up yet but this 'using this as a test of us' business is ever so slightly worrying.

wild horses said...

Aaah.. hobo .. you're my dose of hope and sunshine for the day..with that just that much of vinegar and zest to make me .. hummmmmmm

hedonistic hobo said...

@anki: i published your comment but it still hasn't appeared here. sorry dunno what else i can do but thanks for dropping by and you're welcome to my abode anytime bebe.

@wild horses: first timer? 'ullo! and thank you.

i'll have another one said...

wow! i think you just managed to put together every thought that every couple have when they go through 'the talk.' i feel like it was me having that chat with you (note-not in a creepy role playing way)...and im so glad that it ended up on the sunny side :)...hehe and the hawkins bit was awesome...just the right amount of distraction that we allow ourselves when the moment gets too heavy

InExile said...

sexless ??? Pffft !!

Snake Anthony said...

Wait, have you left or are you still here? Whatever will happen to our drinks plan, Hobo? And Basho visits me very soon. Don't you want to see him?

Anonymous said...

that was an awesome post, Hobo. I had a similar experience last night and I had not even read ur blog by then.
How did u manage to get the 80kg in w/o leaving anything behind? Looking fwd to the conclusion.. will wait for 6 months.
Have a great time in India... and keep blogging..

... Dude (tumhara wala) is an all rounder.

Ami said...

hobo - maine naya blog shuru kar diya... why oh why!