Thursday, November 09, 2006

Ten Thousand Thundering Typhoons

I don't feel like writing today but I do feel like sharing a few thoughts, the trickle of thoughts I've had today. Like this, I'd written sometime back about the hypocrisy of starving out and punishing innocent Palestinians for exercising their democratic rights by the self-appointed Uber-Votaries for Democracy in the World (but not for a democratic world). This article by a Palestinian woman living under the constant threat of death by IDF cruelty served to reignite my outrage. She writes, "but as though this occupation and collective punishment were not enough, we Palestinians find ourselves the targets of a systematic siege imposed by the so-called free world. We are being starved and suffocated as a punishment for daring to exercise our democratic right to choose who rules and represents us. Nothing undermines the west's claims to defend freedom and democracy more than what is happening in Palestine." What does one do though? We vote. As Americans did and thus the Uber-Votaries of Democracy in the World have ironically been tamed by the exercise of democratic rights of the very populace they lord over. So Donny boy is finally making a much deserved exit along with numerous Republican Senators. I hope he trips on his way out. I hope they all fall like dominos.

Yesterday was indeed verily Vanquish Vhite Trash Day, in fact let's officially designate the 8th of Nov as just that. So why am I even more exultant over the news from yesterday? Because Titney, Britney, decided to take out the genetic garbage (though her children remain with her) and divorce K-Fed. K-F'ed-Up! In fact, in yet another uncharacteristic display of good judgment not only did she decide to trash him but she informed via text message while he was still on set shooting for a reality tv show. This I liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiked, muchos. What I like muchisimos is Tintin. And so I decided to dedicate a considerable amount of time to Tintinology. Captain Haddock inspired me to be as proud and potty-mouthed I can be, to drink even, so this particular link has been fabulous. An education in itself. Re-education even. Why does he call people anthracite though? Hmm.....must have been some kind of racist slur why else would you liken someone to coal? Well anyway Herge and his motley bunch are allowed to be despicably racist if they like because Tintin was one of the best comic books the world ever had.
OK. Bye!

*Someone complained about my habit of ending sentences with prepositions, deal with it. Still I'm a rebel with a cause (finally) and it is to articulate myself within and without the confines of English grammar. All my favourite authors did so and I shall attempt cheap imitation here.*

*************************************************************************************
eM and Hobo ponitifcate on men:

Hobo: so if he's so great why aren't you with him?

eM: because he has committment issues.

eM: like everyone else in this world. it's the new thing.

Hobo: nah. it's age old.

Hobo: it's packaged in to their scrotums which is why their balls jump back in at the mere mention of committment.

:)

34 comments:

eM said...

i love 'titney'.

and, ooh, you could call yourself a rebel without a clause.

i crack myself up. :)

eM said...

and why is there no sex? i demand sex posts. SOMEONE should be having sex.

Anonymous said...

@eM: Titney issa good no? The Barrycuda started it. As for no sex because I haven't had any. He's been supremely busy with work I haven't seen him all week. In fact I only spoke to him last night around 11 pm. Hmmm......maybe dating an uber-busy i-banker is not so great after all. Oh well as long as I keep getting chocolate.

Szerelem said...

aah I am so happy the democrats won....
As for Rumsfeld and K fed, I thought they would never leave us alone...apparently there is some sense in the world....hope they disappear completely.

jairaj said...

hehe, everyone's goin Dylan...

hedonistic hobo said...

@jerry: is there any other way but?

@szerelem: i have faith in the world. but then it's easy to have faith when you're not living in baghdad or the gaza strip or parts of north eastern india or kashmir or mogadishu or anywhere in sub-saharan africa or afghanistan or north korea.........ok faith eroding, and rapidly.

jairaj said...

The only way I see it is: "To be stuck inside of Mobile
With the Memphis blues again"

jairaj said...

The only way I see it is: "To be stuck inside of Mobile
With the Memphis blues again"

InExile said...

mwaa haa haa
britney titney ..
tit-ney
tit -nee
tit-new

and balls jump back !!
hobo u kill me !!! :D

btw have u seen the boobs on titney ?

hedonistic hobo said...

@in exile: not personally. but glad you're tickled.

partly cloudy said...

hmm.. tintin and racism always had me swinging both ways. for a long time i thought they sort of represented the non-white plight fairly, but darkly.. for eg: in america...when the oil hounds drive the natives out. also found in the blue lotus, prisoners of the sun.....
haddock is never politically correct, but somehow always fair. its easy to misconstrue it as racism, for eg: the conversation with the captives in 'the red sea sharks', but then thats haddock. but then read 'tintin in the congo' and yeah, it reeks of the white man's burden.
so do the democrats, i suppose.

hedonistic hobo said...

i like haddocks' brand of political correctness. he's nasty to everyone. the democrats reek of the white man's burden? no. that's the republicans. the democrats reek of nothing distinctive. that's the trouble.

Zaphod said...

balls jumping back in would be my phrase! (wonder if i can copyright it)
and i have a lot to say on the issue of commitment phobia...and what i have to say may be rather harsh to the party that is on the receiving end...so will refrain and save it for a proper post

whitelight said...

Did you in read the current issue of The Economist by any chance?

The lastest issue of The Economist, somehow, has a brilliant write-up (as always) on the US elections. And also reviewed a book on Palestinian issue brilliantly.

hedonistic hobo said...

@zaphod: don't tak it so seriously machan

@whitelight: thanks for the suggestions as much as i like the width of coverage by the economist i am actually not avery big fan of it because of its blind right-wing tendencies. but will give this week's issue a dekko. in return i recommend the new republic and the nation. frontline. tehelka. the atlantic. the london review of books. but it's harder to access some of these since they're subsrciber-only i have to break in to the lse library to get my regular fare.

whitelight said...

you either love the economist or you hate it. and it is not that rightist after all( their views on homosexuality for that matter).

i have had huge discussion with my JNU friends over the economist when i was in college in delhi(blame the profs at hindu for generating the intense liking for that newspaper. their pro-capitalist & pro-US mentality).

but that is how that publication has always been. and the economist is not just about politics.

it is a fact that ALMOST all good publications are either on the left or the right.

tehelka is nice. but sometimes it gets preachy.

Szerelem said...

@whitelight: I liked this weeks Economist as well.

@hobo: I would actually disagree with you about the Economist bein Right Wing....I think what the maazine is, is Libertarian. The articles on social issues are almost always liberal. And they support free trade and open economies.

hedonistic hobo said...

@szerelem: their militant preference for free trade and open economies is what makes them right wing babe.

Szerelem said...

depends on how you define liberal/libertarian...the point I was making was that if it was pure right wing it wouldn't have a liberal social stand (which they do)....they wouldnt support gay marriages/ abortion/Turkeys admission to the EU...

hedonistic hobo said...

@szerelem: i still wouldnt say it's liberal for the economic policies they espouse and the blind support they give the IMF and the World Bank. so if there's reason to see them as liberal/libertarian, there's plenty more to see them as a very right wing magazine. besides their unfliching support for the war on iraq put me off completely. having siad that i will get around to reading this week's issue, it would surprise tremendously if they actually have a kind word to say about the Palestinian cause for a change.

Szerelem said...

hmmm I dont know about very right wing still =P
I would say that economists across the board agree on more free trade and open markets.
That said I do hope that I didnt come off as a right wing type (am not - due emphasis) or a blind supporter of the magazine. I do have issues with a lot of the stances they have taken in the past. The support of the Iraq war still makes me mad and the less said about the World Bank and IMF the better....they really dont miss a chance to mess up.
Also, since you mentioned Palestine...(I havent read the book review mentioned so I cant really comment)...but the new wave of killings made me go back to what you said about faith erodin, rapidly...

AB said...

*it's packaged in to their scrotums which is why their balls jump back in at the mere mention of committment* That is so funny but so true. You have it right sista:)

BarryCuda said...

My Dearest Hobo,

i wish i could dismiss you as an anti-semite. but you are not. i wish you I could ignore you with a bemused smile, and write you off as yet another crank. But i won't. I respect your mind immensely and i am genuinely distressed to witness how complete your brain-washing has been, and how you seem to have lost the ability to think rationally, and yet compassionately.
The ringing palestinian endorement of Hamaz is akin to the last century's Nazi aweep. Both populations voted in a party which sought a mandate of destruction. The "uberlords" ar merely trying to protect 10 million people from the gentle mercies of your wonderful adherents of the religion of peace who blow up cafe and kindergarten schools in the name of their beastly god. Please don't throw the Israeli attack casualties in my face, understand the distinction, the Israelis are not aiming for women and children, the devious cunts who attack Israel ar hiding behind them.
More importantly, the mindset you profess is just another example of condescension and guilt inherent to many in the west. A belief that nothing good or evil can occur without their interference. the palestinans are perfectly capable of fucking their lives up without your help. it is this mindset of treating the third world like a retarded child that enables it to shirk personal responsibility. please stop. you are not doing anyone any favours.
we are the captains of our own destinies, if we choose to make IEDs and homicide squads instead of drip irrigation and cell-phones, well, we only have ourselves to blame.

twip said...

I am thrilled that the democrats swept the house and the senate (well they didnt sweep the senate, but ah.. whatever)

And the best news of the day was Britney dumping K-fed's sorry ass. Oh oh, and Rumsfeld leaving was a close second.

I wonder if Karl Rove is next on the chopping block....

BarryCuda said...

i applaude your sense of fairness. and i agree with your friend who says that the Economist is Libertarian in its outlook. they confessed as much in a letter to Dan Savage of "the onion" fame.

hedonistic hobo said...

@barrycuda/pilgrim: i do not condone violence of any form but i do recognize the equality between the actions of the Palestinians terrorists and the Israeli army. this venom that you spew against the Palestinians for the atrocities they visit daily on Israeli civilians is completely unfair and unjust, unless it comes from only a surface examination of one's perosnal politics which is what I suspect the case is here. Because this is not a debate about who started it? Thus, when you condemn a certain group for blowing up cafes and kindergartens you must then, if you can shake off your hypocrisy and blind bigorty, and realize that the actions of the IDF and the militant minds of Olmert and Sharon derive from the same senseless, remorseless brand of hate that we attibute typically to terrorists. They are responsible for the deaths of as many women and children, the uprootment of as many families, and this ruse of 'hunting' for their perpetrators is beginning to run very very very thin. Besides this ruse only exposes Israel complete and utter disregard for human life, a very American brand of hypcrisy to raise shrill cries about human rights abuses and go right ahead and commit them with a complete disregard for the liberal institutions they help establish. Don't give me this nonesense tripe about national security because there is an inherently flawed logic to slay innocent civilians as revenge for the slaughter of their own civilians. And this failed logic applies to both sides equally. 'Never again' they (Israelis) say when what they meant was 'never again' as victims but over and over again in the same role as their Nazi oppressors. What frightens me more about Israel's counter-terrorism approach is the fact that they leverage a mightily armed military faction against civilians. Theirs is a brand of state-sponsored terrorism akin to the renegrade activities of the Indian army in Arunachal, Assam or Kashmir. As for your comment about treating the Third World as a retarded errant child I think this time round my friend the colonial bigotries of Kipling have finally gone to your head. Nothing about the tratment meted out to the Third World suggests it is often ever given the agency to exericse and realise its own political, economic, culural and social destinies. If anything the conjuncture suggests that this mythical monolithic Third World is the woman of the world, raped and brutalized over and over again. More violently when they do try to shake off 'the retarded child' baggage and assert themselves as well-forming adults (ref: Hamas and every other place where the western world has tried to interfere after the democratic process generated disagreeable results Georgia, Ukraine in recent history). I'm sorry I can't bring myself to accept a single premise of your reaction (it would be less hollow if it emanated from personal philosophy but yours is a reaction that spouts from hurt and anger, yeah buddy I just Oprah'd you!) especially the defence of the morally and politically corrupt Uber Lords you weakly tried to raise and then yourself abandoned in that comment. Face it barry, their time is up, karma has caught up with them. You can't enforce your perosnal convictions on to a people because you deem that is the best wya to live. This is what Islamic terrorists attempt to do and this is exactly the bleeding heart humanitarian liberal West also attempts to do. With the latter the personal, economic ambitions of the leaders f this cause are more evident and unfortunately with the latter it is not. (Ref: Another false mythic notion the world sufers from i.e. the Islamic Brotherhood. If I believe it exists and I am part of it does it make it true? Like a nation? So does that mean I also look better than Claudia Schiffer? or Tina Fey?)

whitelight said...

Extreme Center is the word. it would be very funny to slot any institution(economist does not carry the names of the writers in the issues) right-wing when they
1. are for gay marraige/abortion
2. speak for minorities
3. spoke in favour of United Nation when Bush(after 9/11) was busy trashing it. i.e multilateralism.
4. are staunchly against protectionism
5. espouse religious freedom
6. back Turkey for EU membership
7. always speak for immigrants (especially the Mexicans in US & recently the East Europens in various developed Europen countries)
8. do not believe in the Church.
9. yes, they think very highly of Sunita Narayan(their Face Value section featured her just few weeks back)
10.endorse both the Labour Party and the Conservative Party, and both Republican and Democratic candidates in the United States.

AND THEIR OBIT SECTION IS JUST AWESOME.

twip said...

Dude, I commented! Where did my comment go?

:(

BarryCuda said...

Dear Hobo,

that is a most stinging rebuke. However, inspite of the purple prose and the venom, i fail to see any sort of logical reasoning to your argument.
While I acknowlede that the IDF and the Indian Army have been known to make several monumental laspses of judgment, they remain laspes. I cannot understand why you fail to realize that there is no official Israeli policy advocating the mass slaughter of civilians. As regards the fun-loving boys in Hamaz go, you are surely aware that their charter calls for the complete annihilaion of the "Zionist State." Look, all the Palestinians have to do is agree that Israel has the right to exist. Imagine, we are still dealing with a controversy as basic as this. You have been closely following world events, i am sure you will reluctantly admit that Israel doesn't get peace for land, they get rockets and bombs in return.
As regards my defense of the west, it is preposterous, after all the world has been through, to sit back idly and watch the world go to the dogs. Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. in a perfect world we'd have a billion troops making sure that blood thristy tyrants and idealougues don't turn their countries into abbatoirs, but just because we can't reach the whole world is no reason not to act decisively in ares which are tougher than most, and definintly far more strategic.
Secondly, the third world is not the poor battered woman you make her out to be. the cocksuckers played one power against the other for 70 years and milked the cold war for all it was worth. they did nothing to actualy improve their countries. most of these countries have succeeded in spite of themselves. that tis certainly true for the ones who took the Russkies' side. at least the American block got comic books and planes that could actually fly.
As far as Mr Kipling is concerned, he had it right. he understood the savagery world wide. be it afganistan or transvaal-natal or bavaria. he understood that there will be always be human beings who choose to become wolves, and that such creatures must be mae to bear the full and necassary consequences of their actions. I stand by Mr Kiplings and his wisdom.

manana....

whitelight said...

One last comment on the topic:

The magazine let me down on the Iraq issue too. But given their history of pragmatic views, I kept the faith. And sometime in late 2003 or early 2004, they has an issue with "Where are the WMDs?" written on the cover along with the pictures of Blair & Bush. In an unusually long editorial (by the standards of the magazine) they accepted that they had erred in their judgement of the whole Iraq issue. That issue restored my faith on the magazine twice over.

And if supporting WTO & IMF (by the way Economist has been one of the biggest critic of the way WTO defines free-market, an important condition for membership) make anyone right-wing then the converse should make anyone leftist. So should we from today call VHP & RSS left wing outfits!!!???

If WTO should stay or go is a long settled issue. The issue is how to negotiate (the magazine's view). You win some, you lose some. The fact is that for all its flaws, WTO still remains the best bet for both developed and developing countries in todays world of super globalisation(could India have managed to negotiate so hard & so successfully on farm subsidies or IPR by staying out). every country has realised this. China, for years, negotiated hard for the entry. And now Vietnam is doing so. If Vietnam gets in, which it probably will by 2010, there would be 150 members in WTO. Yes, ONE FIVE ZERO.

YOU pull out of the WTO at your own peril.

Do not follow right or left, follow Adam Smith.

simmi said...

dear hobo

i thought that we all should visit this site:

http://worldpeace.beeplog.com/

though I will have to agree with you on the Palestine/Israil issue

and completely disagree on the Tin Tin issue. Asterix was far superior.

Racism is not acceptable regardless of who it comes from.

Arthur Quiller Couch said...

I don't understand all this deep shit about politics, but I do agree with Simmi - Asterix whups Tintin's ass any day of the week and thrice on Friday nights.

Zaphod said...

Will agree on the Asterix bit...

jairaj said...

Its quite surprising that whatever Tintin and Asterix reading I did (an essential time of childhood reading among Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton), it was virtually at the same period. I can't dare to draw a conclusion, which one perhaps, is more brilliantly better. I seemed to enjoy both. Captain Haddock's character, I read grew much later, almost pure with cynicism and simple buffoonery (often which leads Tintin into trouble, but when does Tintin ever write the story I wonder?), but has this charm about him that makes one admire him more than, if I dare to say, Tintin.
Asterix, I would greatly regard for the almost brilliant translation, that retains every humour of it and its simple connotations. Its almost simply amazing that I found both these comic books at a time when Archie comics were, or so it seemed, on everyone's shelves.